Paleo General Tso's Chicken

Every once in a while I get a craving for the General. Maybe it's that radioactive red glow, or the questionable chicken that's fried in who knows what, but it's tasty. I like to make paleo versions of the dishes we want but shouldn't have. It's pretty easy to find substitutions that are far healthier and taste the same or very similar to whatever it is you're trying to replicate. I searched online for a paleo recipe of the General but couldn't find one anywhere. So, last night I attempted to make my own paleo version of General Tso's Chicken. The end result was damn near close to the flavor of the General and much better for you than the original.

Paleo General Tso
Since this was a trial run, the recipe was made with two chicken breasts and the sauce was just enough for that amount of meat. From the picture to the right you'll see that it obviously doesn't look like the General we know and love. That's because it's not deep fried in a ton of dyes and chemicals that are added to give it that unique red color. The taste however was pretty close. It probably could have been a little bit sweeter but it definitely has the heat on the back end.

Sauce
¾ cup Organic Free Range Chicken Broth (from Trader Joe’s)
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
3 tbsp raw organic honey
1/3 cup (plus a little more) Coconut Aminos (from Whole Foods)
½ tsp ginger
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 scallion, chopped

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, whisk thoroughly and set aside. Melt the honey in the microwave before adding so that it mixes fully with the rest of the ingredients.

Meat
Using a large pan or wok, put two tablespoons of olive or coconut oil in the pan and set it to medium heat. Cut the chicken breasts into small strips or cubes and place in the pan. Brown all sides of your meat. This should take a few minutes. Once the chicken is starting to brown, add the sauce and begin stirring everything together. The sauce will begin to thicken. Add broccoli and chopped carrots at this point and continue to stir everything together. Cook the chicken and veggies in the sauce for another five minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Cauliflower Rice
If you have a potato ricer, boil a head of cauliflower until it starts to get soft and then chop it into chunks and put it through the ricer. If you do not have one of these handy gadgets, like I don't, chop up a head of cauliflower into little pieces and boil it in a pot until it starts to get soft. Taste it as you go. Whatever kind of texture you want out of your "rice" is up to you. If you want it crunchier, you won't have to boil it as long. Once you've gotten the cauliflower to your ideal texture, drain all of the water out of the pot and serve.

If anyone stumbles across this recipe and tries it out, give me some feedback on it. I'd like to get some outside opinions and see what it's missing, or if it's good the way it is.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I made this last night and it was really good. I don't know if I've had the General's chicken before so I'm not sure how similar it tastes but nonetheless I liked it. I just used a frozen bag of stir-fry veggies that I had on hand and did the cauliflower rice too. Eating leftovers now - Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I too get a serious craving for the "General". I will try this this weekend and post my results

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Anonymous 1 & 2. If you feel like it's missing something, let me know and I'll try to tweak the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this recipe and it was good! A little sweet, but good. I followed your recipe as shown, but I added some fresh onion and garlic in while cooking the chicken. Next time I will probably add some fresh jalapeno's for extra heat and cut down on the honey. Thanks for posting!! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved it,
    the tar like sauce looked like it was going to be pretty intense
    but it was lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cdowgs, glad you liked it. It may not look pretty but it gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This meal was amazing! My paleo and non-paleo eaters loved it. I did double the recipe. I'm so glad I found your site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dana, thanks for trying out the recipe. Good to hear it appeals to the masses. Let me know what you think of the other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME! I made double the amount and it was great. Added about 3x the crushed red pepper for a little more kick. Cooked the Cflower a little too much, would have liked a little more crunch, but so happy with the outcome. Left overs for lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cooked this for my 17 year old and he loved it so much that I pack it for his lunch EVERYDAY! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any way to do it without arrowroot???? GAPS diet doesnt permit this

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm vaguely familiar with GAPS and so I'm not sure if any of the following is allowed but I'll give you a few options. The arrowroot is just in there as a thickener of the sauce. You could try coconut flour, or xanthan gum. Or, if you know of a better natural thickener that works with GAPS, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks - we can use coconut flour

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I wanted to let you know that I tried this tonight and thought it was excellent! The sauce was so delish - I added extra red pepper because I like it hot!

    I ended up using carrots, zucchini, peppers, and asparagus - then topped it after cooking with tomatoes. Would've loved pineapple and water chestnuts in it!

    Thanks SO much for sharing this recipe. I have a feeling I'll be using this one often :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...