Paleo Post Workout Meal

The popular post workout (PWO) meal tends to be the whey protein shake. I'm guilty of it myself. It's really convenient, and after a long or intense metcon, the last thing I want to do is chew something. It's just easier to slam down a shake. The convenience is what keeps the supplement industry in business. Not necessarily the results/benefits, if any, you get from ingesting the pills and powders. It's the convenience, plain and simple. The drive thru Dollar Menu at McDonalds is convenient too, but I'm not rolling through there after Fran.

Photo: The Schell Cafe
Paleo Post Workout Meal
Protein: 5 whole eggs (hard boiled), or 1 grilled chicken breast, or 1 can of wild caught salmon
Carbs: 2 cups of mashed sweet potato/yam (see recipe below)

Since I'm in mass gain mode, I try and keep a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein in the PWO meal. The above meal will give you roughly 30g of protein and 120g of carbs. If I were in a maintenance phase, I would keep the protein the same and cut the sweet potato/yam down to 1 cup (roughly 60g of carbs, 2:1 ratio). For anyone trying to lean out, I had pretty decent results with a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs in your PWO meal.

Getting this meal down after a strength workout usually isn't hard. But I find it difficult to eat anything shortly after an intense or long metcon. If I give myself 30 minutes and then eat slowly, it'll go down smoothly. On workout days I try to get the majority of my daily carbs in the post workout window, with the immediate PWO meal and the next big meal that follows. On days off, I spread the carbs throughout the day but try and keep most of them in the breakfast and lunch meals. 

Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe 
1 bag Trader Joe's Organic Sweet Potatoes
2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup

Cut off just the strings at the ends of the sweet potatoes only, and dump them all as is into a large pot. Don't bother to peel them. Fill the pot with water and bring it to a slow boil. Continue boiling until the sweet potatoes are soft and can be easily punctured with a fork. This could take a while depending on the size of the sweet potatoes. Once they are tender, drain all of the water from the pot and mash the potatoes in the pot. They should mash fairly easily. Add the remaining ingredients and stir everything together. If the consistency is too runny for your liking, turn the heat back on to medium-low and slowly stir the pot until the excess liquid has cooked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...