Baked Beef Jerky

I don't own a food dehydrator but I've been dying to make my own jerky for some time now. I've found that you can make it in the oven and it turns out pretty damn tasty. The problem with most store-bought jerky is that they often add sugar, soy, coloring and additives to the meat. Here's a pretty simple beef jerky recipe that you can make in the oven that avoids all of that nonsense.

Paleo Beef Jerky
1.5 lbs of London broil
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp minced onion powder
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp oregano
1 pinch sea salt


Place the London broil in the freezer long enough for it start to harden a little but not long enough that it freezes (about 35-45 minutes). This will make the meat easier to slice.

Then take the London broil and turn it on its side length-wise and cut against the grain in slices. This can be a little challenging once the meat starts to thin out.

Place the slices into a bowl and set aside.

Add all of the other jerky seasoning ingredients into a small pot, bring to a quick boil and stir together. Pour the jerky seasoning over the meat and toss thoroughly. You can choose to let this sit overnight in the refrigerator and marinade or bake it right away. I baked it right away and the meat was flavorful and tender.

Set your oven to the lowest possible temperature setting, usually 150 degrees or Warm. Place the meat on metal racks or baking sheets (racks are preferable) and places those racks onto the racks in the oven. The 1.5 lbs of London took up two racks. Also, place an additional baking sheet at the very bottom of the oven to catch any drippings from the jerky. Close the oven door and let it bake for 6-8 hours. When the meat is done it will be a dark brownish color. The meat will bend and crack but not snap. If it snaps easily and is brittle, then it's over cooked.

Allow the jerky to cool and then store it in a ziploc bag or other airtight container.

6 comments:

  1. I'm interested to hear how it turned out. I did it awhile back and wished I'd had been more patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really well. Next time, I'll try marinading the meat overnight and see if it makes it any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Without all the preservatives with 16 syllables that you can't pronounce, how long do you think this would last out of the fridge in an airtight container?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexander, I guess it depends on how hot it is outside. If it's not cool the meat could get into the temperature danger zone. But other than that it should be fine for a few hours or more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I always make my own whenever we have a craving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-snacks-go/

    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Bonus - when you join Inspiring Cooks, you can also request to be added to My Natural Family’s most popular group boards on Pinterest.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...