Sleep or Food?


I slept in a bit this morning and had to scramble to get out the door. I didn't have time to make myself breakfast so I settled for some reheated beef stew. It tasted great but was a bit out of the norm for my first meal of the day. Because I didn't get up on time I also didn't pack any food to take with me. The day was hectic, and although I had time while I was out to stop in somewhere for lunch, I knew there wouldn't be anywhere I could eat. Tomorrow, I get retested for my allergies and hopefully this three-week cleanse has done its job and I can start reintroducing some of things I've been omitting (BACON).

Over these past three weeks, I haven't been able to go out to eat anywhere because I have no idea what's in the food and I wanted to do my best to avoid any potential allergens or inflammatory foods. But it made me realize that yeah, I DON'T know what's in the food in restaurants, or even at my friends' homes.

{Tangent}

On Sunday, we went over to a friend's place to watch the Super Bowl. He made chili (which I couldn't eat because of beans, salsa, spice...anything with flavor is a no-no) and pulled pork (couldn't eat that either). Both looked and smelled great. And I'm sure they tasted great too. Luckily I brought two batches of wings, but only one of those batches I could eat myself. Two weeks ago, we went over to another friend's place for taco night. I brought romaine leaves as my taco shells, which I would normally do anyway, but I had to make my own separate meat devoid of anything resembling taco meat: no spiciness, no salsa, not even guac because the kind I buy has paprika in it and that was a no-no. I ended up eating lettuce and plain beef while everyone else was stuffing their corn tortillas with refried beans, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Not that I would've had most of those things, but hey, a little salsa and guac goes a long way.

{End tangent.}

So, back to my unintentional fast today, even though I went the whole day with only one smaller meal, I still would rather have gotten the extra sleep than made breakfast. Me, I need my sleep to function and recover. What do you think? Would you rather have a little extra sleep in the morning, or know that you had a good breakfast and packed a smart lunch and snacks for the day? Leave your response in the Comments.

1 comment:

  1. Funny you ask that question. We had nothing in the house the other day...no meat prepared. I fell asleep on the couch b/f bed and forgot to pack my lunch for the next day. (I work in a school, so you can imagine what I DON'T eat for lunch.) I preferred to sleep! However, the cost was that I got to work late b/c I was busy making a last second tuna salad, my emergency go-to meal when we are out of stuff. I prefer the sleep. A little fast never hurt anyone and some Paleo folks will say it's not a bad thing, but I can say it makes me too tempted to stray off course. Sleep rules.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...