Crossfit Games 2011 - Open Sectionals WOD 2

Annnnnnnnd we're back. After an extended week one, the games season resumes with Open Sectionals WOD 2 (or 11.2).

Los post WOD 2.
The workout is a 15-Minute AMRAP of:
9 deadlifts (155/100)
12 hand-release push-ups
15 box jumps (24/20)

I did this workout last night. I thought 8 rounds would be a good goal for me to shoot for. The deadlift is light, the box jump is standard, but the hand-release push-up though, that's what was going to get me. 15 minutes is a long time and I have a tendency to red line early, so my plan going into this was to not go guns blazing out of the gate, but rather to stay consistent and move at a moderate pace so that I wouldn't be gasping for air in the later rounds. The plan went to shit after the second round of box jumps.

This WOD is no joke. It will break you down into little pieces. But make no mistake about it, this is a box jump workout. That is where you get the most points and that is what is going to gas you. I found the deadlift to be the easiest of the three movements and never had to break up any of those. Your best bet is to go straight into the deadlifts from the box jump without any break. You're going to be winded from the box jump but nothing you can't work through with the deads. Get a couple breaths in after the deads and then right into the push-ups.

The box jump completely gassed me and I usually can't string multiple jumps together anyway so I spent a lot of time there. This workout (like the last one) favors a light person, and someone who is fast at box jumps.  I got a really good box jump tip last night from Rob Miller (the owner of CF Delaware Valley, via Todd Widman). Unfortunately, he told me this revelation after the workout. The trick is to not think of it as jumping from the ground, but rather falling off (or a slight hop off the box) and then rebounding back up. If you need to break up your box jumps, rest on top of the box as opposed to on the ground. That way when you resume you have momentum from dropping off the box, rather than starting from a dead stop on the ground.

The push-ups weren't too bad until the end when muscle failure had set in and I was fighting to keep the plank position on the way up. Avoid going to failure on the push-ups, even early on. So, if that means you're breaking up the push-ups on the first round so be it. It will pay off in the later rounds. I ended up with 6 rounds + 9 deads + 12 push ups + 5 box jumps for a score of 242. I was mad at myself for not completing seven full rounds, but I'm not doing the workout again.

And of course, we can't leave you without movement prep from Carl Paoli and insights from the Manimal - Pat Barber. Good luck and kick ass.











2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more w/you on all points! Great score! I finished with 6 rounds, 9 DL and 3 push up's. I went out slow and moderate too and man......F the box jumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awful, Awful WOD Larry. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...