Crossfit Games 2011 - Open Sectionals WOD 4


When I saw the movements for this workout I was actually shocked to see muscle ups. I honestly did not think muscle ups would be at the sectional level. And after seeing what HQ is capable of, I'm kind of worried about what weeks 5 and 6 will look like. Week 3 was an obvious tipping point to weed out the weaker competitors and really spread the field. Week 4 is a big middle finger to the bottom 90%.

Open Sectionals WOD 4 (11.4) is as a 10-minute AMRAP of:
60 bar-facing burpees (hop over the bar each time)
30 overhead squats (120/90)
10 muscle ups

I think muscle ups are still a huge limiting factor for the majority of those involved in the open. Even getting one muscle up in this workout will greatly boost you up in the standings. I still don't have muscle ups. I was hoping that my first one would have been tonight. That was not the case. And even if you have muscle ups, you may not have much time to do them, and if you do get to them your arms may be too fried to get very many.

I did this workout tonight and my biggest takeaway from it was that I didn't think the overhead squat would feel as heavy as it did. The burpees took me about six minutes to complete. I went at a pretty steady pace and took a few short rests (about 3-5 seconds) to shake my arms out and take a few deep breaths. I don't think I could've done the burpees much faster without completely wrecking myself. The overhead squat was deceivingly heavy and I only managed to complete five reps, with several failed attempts. Going into this WOD, my goal was to get through all of the squats with just enough time to attempt one muscle up and hopefully get my first. This ended up being a lofty goal as I spent the remaining four minutes struggling to get five squats.

Most people will not finish one round. The decent number of competitors will get in the mid-100s and the elites will get around two complete rounds; maybe a few animals will get over two rounds, but I highly doubt it. This is a ton of volume for one round.

As far as strategy goes, everyone can do burpees. Jumping over the bar is a little more taxing than the standard burpee but my advice is just keep moving through them without stopping. Burpees don't hurt until you stop and think about them. If you can complete the burpees in about five minutes you should have plenty of time to get through the squats, that is if you're competent in overhead squatting. I think the overhead squat is the deciding factor in this workout. After that it's all a matter of if you have muscle ups or not. If you have them and you can remain calm, you should be fine; adrenaline will take care of the rest.

Below are some muscle up progressions without a false grip from Carl Paoli and WOD 4 tips from Pat Barber. Good luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...