Kalyn McDonald - A CrossFit Testimonial

This is a re-post from CrossFit Delaware Valley.

For 10 weeks this summer my sister-in-law Kalyn lived with Kara and me. During those 10 weeks I worked with her to improve her dietary and lifestyle habits. Here is Kalyn’s story.

When I first came to Larry it’s safe to say I was in the worst shape of my life. I was the heaviest I’ve ever been, and I was no longer exercising on a regular basis. My diet resembled that of a college student (pizza and beer) due to the fact that I am still in a college environment attending graduate school. I knew that if I wanted to get back in shape and feeling good, I would have to start with my diet.

Larry started off with a general discussion of my health history and everyday habits – this meeting alone helped me realize just how unhealthy I had been living. Eating food items with gluten when I have a known gluten allergy, eating dairy when I am lactose intolerant – I was out of control! For as long as I can remember I have had issues with food, so naturally I thought that it was normal to feel unwell after consuming a meal. When I first tried to go gluten-free, I was constantly hungry. Nothing that I ate seemed to fill me up. I then found myself consuming unbelievable amounts of rice at each meal, just to feel full. Rice gets old very fast and before I knew it, I was eating foods with gluten again.

Larry was able to suggest an eating style that would accommodate all of my dietary restrictions and actually fill me up. We started from scratch – cleaning out the pantry, going grocery shopping, and even cooking together! The biggest help was planning ahead: making weekly menus and cooking items in bulk – a suggestion that Larry made to help with transitioning to this new lifestyle. Most of my meals consisted of lean meats and veggies. I used to not eat anything for breakfast. Now, I not only have gotten in the habit of eating breakfast every morning, I can make a mean over-easy egg.

Along with new eating habits, I was also attending CrossFit Delaware Valley classes about four times per week, which really helped me get back on track with my fitness. Although I don’t have a CrossFit gym where I go to school, I’ve learned enough of the basics to do some WODs on my own and will be traveling an hour and a half a few days a week to an affiliate in Columbus, OH.

With the combination of a healthy, reasonable diet and CrossFit, I was able to lose pounds and inches from my body. In just 10 weeks I lost 20 pounds, 4.1% body fat, 2.5 inches off my waist and thighs, and 4.25 inches off of my hips. I feel better than I ever have. Larry was able to come up with a lifestyle that I would be able to easily adjust to and sustain, and I am confident that I will be able to continue this on my own back at school. 

Kalyn’s story is a good example of what can be accomplished in just 10 weeks with a little hard work and discipline. Not only did Kalyn lose a decent amount of weight, body fat, and inches, she also greatly improved in her overall fitness. In 10 weeks, she took 3 minutes off of her CrossFit Baseline workout, went from being too scared to even think about jumping onto two 45-pound plates (8 inches) to jumping on a 20-inch box, ran a Broomile without stopping, and climbed a rope for the first time in her life. How much can you change your life in just 10 weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...