Convenience is Toxic


This is a story about coffee, but it applies to all foods and food choices we make on a daily basis.

I like coffee as much as the next person, but I'm not crazy about it. It's good, but I can just as easily drink tea if I want a caffeinated beverage. I'm impartial. I like them both equally, as friends.

Last weekend I went to a local coffee shop that I had been to once before and had been meaning to go back to. This place is a coffee snobs mecca - very limited menu with no prices, top of the line espresso maker, Hario V60 kettles and drip cones to serve the single origin, hand ground beans in a very calculated, laborious, slow process to make a single cup of drip coffee. I wouldn't call myself a coffee snob but I'm pretty good with Google.

My order - a 12 oz cup of coffee - took about five minutes to make. And I'm not just saying that as a gross exaggeration. I didn't time them but it was probably in the neighborhood of five minutes. Compare that to the turnaround time for Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks and it would probably feel like a week to some people. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

The coffee was good. Real good. Good coffee doesn't need anything added to it. It's just good by itself.

Starbucks coffee tastes burnt to me and it's a bit overpriced for what I consider a shitty product. Dunkin' Donuts is decent for what it is: cheap and fast. You get what you pay for. When it comes to coffee, it should come from a single origin source (No blends. Blends are bad.) from either a wet (washed) or natural process. This will give you the best quality, and best tasting coffee, with the least amount of toxins. Quality matters.

Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks are convenient. Not having to get out of your car to get that cup of coffee is convenient. Buying prepared food is convenient. A sandwich is convenient. Convenience is easy. Easy is lazy. Lazy gets you into trouble. Convenience is toxic, and not in the Britney Spears sort of way. Convenience is killing you slowly.

A cup of coffee that came from a blend of beans from who knows where, sprayed with who knows how many chemicals, sitting in a coffee pot for however long doesn't taste nearly as good (or make you feel as good) as a clean sourced bean that was ground in front of you, carefully and perfectly prepared with craftsmanship. That's art. That's worth the extra couple minutes, even if you're in a hurry. Convenience is toxic. Quality takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...