Just Because It's Gluten Free Doesn't Mean It's Not Crap



I'm not singling out this particular brand or cereal manufacturer, but when Kara brought home a box of Marshmallow Pebbles the other week I was less than pleased.

I get it. She grew up eating cereal. So did I. So did most of America. But if you're jonesing for some cereal, there are better options out there. Read your labels.

"But it's gluten free," she said. As if it would sway me in the least.

Just because something is gluten free, doesn't mean it's still not a big ol' pile of crap.

In the image to the right you will see the ingredients for Marshmallow Pebbles. First off, you can't honestly think something with the word "marshmallow" in the title is not going to be considered junk food; even if the marshmallows came from Bedrock. The rest of the ingredients read more like a chemistry experiment than a recipe. This should be a red flag for anyone. It may not contain wheat, rye, or barley, but it definitely contains some scary shit.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. It is the "Fat Free Teddy Grahams" in gluten-free form all over again.

    I do think gluten-free products are great for celiacs and for if you really need to make some gluten-free pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted my comment above but I do want to point out the facts:
      1. I did not buy the Pebbles; they were a gift. I would never buy something like this, but if it's given to me, hell yes I am going to eat it.
      2. I wasn't trying to "sway" you with anything. Those delicious Pebbles were all for me and I wasn't sharing.
      3. I eat well most of the time and when I choose to splurge, it's almost always gluten free, per your advice.
      4. They were awesome and I don't care how much crap was in them. I was back to eating my meat and veggies the next day and that's all that matters.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...